Sunday, April 5, 2009

My street

So where I live is classified as a trendy spot of town. I didnt know what the meant until I spent 2 days here. On my street there is a bar and not any bar. From what I can tell it is THE bar. It opens around 3ish and doesnt close. People stand outside the bar drinking and smoking all the time. Its 12:47 on sunday night right now and there are people out there listening to music loud enough that I can understand it. Why can I understand it? because its english, and not good english music either. I know that songs, but I cant remember why I know them. I am pretty sure they are from 1998. True that was a good year, but let it die.

You know in movies when there is a stereotypical italian area and there are windows that open and clothes are all hung out to dry. There is a reason why thats how the movies portrays itlians. People poking their heads out the window to yell at their kids as they play soccer is true.

I think my street has about 4 restaurants, not including the bar, withing 20 steps of my door. They are never open though. Just people sitting out side of them on chairs smoking. I dont know enough itlian to ask if I can eat food there, so I go to one of the 4 pizzaerias that are within 30seconds of my door.

The grocery store is obviously closed on sunday, and of course I couldnt find it on saturday. So I have been eating pizza and apples, which I bought at the open market. The place is huge, about 4 square city blocks of fruits, vegetables, meats, clothing and this goes on everyday. I am not sure if all the farmers have heard about pooling their resources and sending in only a few trucks into the city but each to their own.

Its about 1 am monday morning and people are still at the cafe and bar outside now. I think I will try to sleep before the others wake up and yell on the street.

I dont understand why they all yell, but they do. I can hear a conversation between a man and a woman right now. They are in their apartment across the street.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome!!! Ask them if they know Terry. Pizza and apples are probably all you need. Coffee also.

    ReplyDelete