Tuesday, April 14, 2009

so today I have to send a letter to some place in italy to apply for the job that I already have, but dont have because of the whole work visa thing. So as long as no one else applies for a job that isint posted then I get that job. Its all messed up. So I go to the post office because apparently nobody trusts the post office here, so you have to go and hand deliver your mail to a person and tell them when you want it to get there and pay big bucks for it as well. I am sending about 8 pieces of paper that easily fit inside of a regular envelope. So I take all of this to the post office and there are 3 people in front of me waiting in line.

Actually first, to get in the post office you have to go through a double set of security doors that trap you between the two of them as they photograph you. You know those really nice jewelry stores where they have to buzz you in. Pretty much the same.

So we are waiting in line behind 3 people. The first person takes out about 10 packages to mail. They then took out 150 euros. what the hell is going on. Who mails 150euros worth of things at once. Next person, tons of cheques. Its almost as if no business has access to the mail unless they come down to the post office and wait in line to mail things, then pay stupid amounts of money. The best part of this story is the filling out of forms. I had to fill out forms to send a letter 3ookm away. The second best is the time it took for all of this to happen. It took over an hour for 4 of us to get through a line. The third best you ask, of course its the paying of 9 euros to send 1 letter 300km. I have no idea how this letter is getting there but it better be hand delivered to someone. My other option was for 4 euros and they dont guarantee that mail, at all. Maybe next week was the response. Maybe next week to send a letter down the road? I think it would have been easier for me to hop on a train and just go to the city.

So at my lab there is a security check at the door because of some of the stuff we have in there. So I dont have a badge yet to get through so I have to ask a guy to buzz me in. The first time I asked him he said he didnt speak english and walked away. Today was a bit better, seeing how he saw me everyday for a week go in with others. Today we discussed how I dont have a badge and how I still dont speak itlian. He then buzzed me in. I assume tomorrow either he just buzzes me in, or he talks to me again like anything will have changed in the last 24hrs. I think he will talk to me again.

dont go grocery shopping in italy. These people are oblivious to anyone other then themselves. Just standing, talking to their friends that they came with. blocking the isle, while the stock boy bumps into me trying to make me ram these old ladies with me cart.

anyway, still havent been kicked out, and I still dont technically have a job.

6 comments:

  1. Italy sounds like a confusing and expensive place. I am never leaving here. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it totally works like that. Its weird the people here just accept how things are done, while I think its so messed up. Never would I stand in line for an hour to mail 1 letter, then pay a stupid price because they dont know how long it takes for a letter to be mailed. YOUR THE POST OFFICE, thats your job to know how long it takes letters to be mailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha Italy sounds fun. I'm going to wait to mail anything until I come visit, then bring it all with me so we can make it a day at the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone is missing the critical point of all of this. Screw Chemistry, seriously, it is causing you so much hastle... you can't even get into the freaking building!? Forget getting a visa to work there. I say scrap that garbage... there is clearly a crap load of money to be made by starting your own postal service in Italy. This is like when people go back in time in the movies and get to bet on sporting events they have seen already. Remember back to the future?!?! That's you man - you ARE Marty McFly! Now make loads of cash and come to O-town for a visit. PS - My cut for this idea is ~90% or if 50% sounds better that's cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fisr off El-doan if that is your real name, there can be only one Marty McFly, unless the real one goes back in time, then there can be two. Or I guess more if the one that goes back in time takes the one he meets back to the future again but at a different time again and then those two meet up with the third one.

    ReplyDelete